Images: Ahmed Fayed
To begin with, black is not a colour – it’s the absence of it. In scientific terms, colours are how our eyes perceive light, making white a colour and black – a void, an emptiness. Think about it, when the lights go out, it all turns to black.
So why black is so alluring to wear? I was reading a number of studies on why some people chose to wear exclusively black. If you opened their wardrobes, you’d find a few classic white shirts gobbled up entirely by a black hole. That’s not a portal to another dimension, but a path to a different state of mind. Let me elaborate. To a lot of people wearing black means focusing on themselves rather than the clothing. They see themselves beyond trends or fashion. Driven, hardworking and astute – going for coal coloured clothing is a sign of sophistication and complete confidence.
Come to think of it, there have been days when I was keen on skipping the small talk and focusing purely on the matter. I definitely wore black. Putting my own experience against the findings of these psychological studies does highlight one thing – black certainly put the b in business.
7 Reasons to Wear Black This Autumn
- It’s a sudden confidence boost. You’re not standing out because you are wearing a loud colour. You are standing out because of your intelligence, vocabulary or just general awesomeness.
- It’s the perfect canvas for jewellery. If you want your statement jewellery to take centre stage, wear black.
- Wearing black is everyone’s favourite weight loss trick as it visually slims you down. Besides, everyone knows diet is die with a t.
- If you have an important meeting or conference, wearing black will help you command attention and demand authority without doing anything.
- Keen on a day to night look? An LBD for day, an LBD with extra eyeliner for night. Done.
- Confusing dress code? Wearing black will mask your confusion and emphasise the fact that you’ve completely nailed your outfit for the occasion.
- People start thinking that you are boring and conventional? Apply a black lipstick Kylie Jenner style and see who’s talking now. Hint: Your lips.
Last time I was wearing all mint.