Blazer: Moschino, Denim: c/o Tobi, Bag: Chanel, Pumps: Marks and Spencer, Sunglasses: AND/OR
Images by Tina Muller
But not everyone is keen on the character part. It maybe hard to find the balance between looking like you’ve just travelled through time and you are taking inspiration from an era. Not to worry, this is where I can help you. Here’s how to modernise a vintage blazer stylistically, without reaching out for a needle and thread:
- Make your vintage blazer your accent piece. While you can add a brooch or earrings, make sure you are referencing one era with a showstoppper aka your blazer and a small nod aka your vintage accessory choice. Anything more may take your outfit backwards instead of fashion forward.
- Sleeves up. Literally. Roll up your sleeves if you are uncomfortable with the length of the sleeves or their cut. Go for about 3/4 of the length for a relaxed feel.
- Drape. White shirt, a blazer draped over your shoulders, some serious cigarette trousers, and it looks like you mean business.
- Wear your hair down. If you managed to snatch a blazer of your dreams but it comes with those 80s shoulder pads that are sewn in underneath the lining, a visit to the seamstress may be in the cards. However, if you have long hair, wear it down the first time you rock your vintage blazer. This will soften the accentuated shoulder. Also, hopefully this will allow you to not mind the shoulder pad look that much! I personally love it as it shapes the silhouette nicely and gives structure to the ensemble… plus makes your waist look smaller.
- Wear unbuttoned with a white shirt, boyfriend or mom jeans and a classic bag for a relaxed yet I’m-definitely-chic look. Some vintage blazers look too old-fashioned when buttoned up as their intended shapes can be outdated – a lot of 80s ones are guilty of this. But if you style them unbuttoned with a casual look in mind, they will add that nonchalant je ne sais quoi to your ensemble. But as a quick reminder, elements of fashion tend to come back every 30 years, so you may be loving the shape of your blazer tomorrow even if you are cringing today!