Images by Ahmed Fayed
Welcoming warmer weather in the city is never easy for me. I’d much rather be by the sea or getting lost somewhere in woodlands, finding ponds for my dog to jump into. Okay, okay. For me. For me to jump into.
However, we can’t have It all. For those of us with full time jobs, there are a few things we can do to embrace the warmer weather on office days.
- Lunch on the grass. I work in a part of London where there’s almost no green at all, more like a concrete jungle. However, after a number of “let’s explore what’s out there” lunches, we finally found two green patches in church courtyards. Surrounded by the majestic architecture of these historical churches, lunches outside suddenly became a tradition during warmer days. They make a massive difference! Morale’s up, vitamin D uptake is up, suddenly everything is going to be okay.
- On your way to the office, leave the tube a station early and walk. Enjoy the warm sun rays touching your face in the morning (after popping on some SPF of course). This has an added bonus: burn calories, burn.
- Go see a street performance, open air theatre or cinema. Imagine this – a beautiful Friday, work is done, and you are off to enjoy a film or play – there’s a light breeze, it’s not too hot, not too cold. Just perfect. Oh, and add a glass of chilled bubbly. Now it’s perfect.
- Hello, rooftop bar. Another popular after work activity is looking down at the city as the warm sun sets. Beautiful you, beautiful view. Cheers to that!
- Find an outdoor swimming pool or lido in the city. On a hot day, you’ll be so happy you decided to do this.
- As soon as the weekend hits, I vote: train, bus or car to the nearest beach! Let’s go!