Images by Tina Muller
After the colour pink, I moved on to the colour blue. The print on this maxi from FashionMia reminded me of an ancient Greek vase – beautiful, dainty and delicate. It just begged for some matchy-matchy accents, so I thought I’d take the look a few steps further by painting myself completely blue, hair included.
How to get temporary blue hair?
Some of you have asked on Instagram and Snapchat whether I was wearing a wig. This is my actual hair and this was the exact shade of blue that I was keen on for this look. After all, Edie Sedgwick once famously chopped off her locks and sprayed her pixie cut silver, so I thought I’d try spraying my hair blue. It worked! I purchased my blue hair spray from Superdrug here in the UK; if your local beauty store doesn’t have any coloured hair sprays, Amazon should be your next stop.
Without further ado, here are a few tips and tricks I learned from my experience being a bluenette (it’s a word now):
1. If your hair is light or bleached blonde, a darker blue shade may stain your locks and leave a yellow/brassy tint – but it’s nothing a white toner or silver shampoo can’t fix.
2. If you are worried about the product not washing off for the office the next day, you can exhale with ease. The product does wash off easily. Shampoo hair twice if needed.
3. After washing off the coloured hair spray I made sure I deeply conditioned my locks and put hair oil on the ends. It’s a great idea to keep doing that regardless, your hair will thank you for it.
4. Wear an old T-shirt while using coloured hair spray. I miraculously didn’t get any stains on my tee but it doesn’t mean that I won’t next time!
5. Spray your hair in an open space or make sure your doors are open because oh boy that smell is toxic. Thankfully it evaporates quite quickly, so while your hair will delicately smell like the product, it won’t be overpowering or become the topic of anyone’s conversation. After all, our goal is to make people talk about the colour, not the odour.
6. Be adventurous! Coloured hair spray allows you to have fun with wacky colours and forget you’ve done it the next day.
Let me hear those pshhhhh sounds! What colour would you go for?
In case you missed the previous coloured outfit, it was all about the colour pink.